Additional license

Discuss, post your questions about TWSLink here.

Users who just registered, please write an email to
forum@trade-commander.de
with your username mentioned.
So we can distinguish you from bots.
Thank you
sectorbets

Additional license

Post by sectorbets »

I need to buy a second license so that I can run a production machine in addition to a development machine -- is there anything special I should consider, or is it as simple as downloading the software (I have already done that) and getting a new license key. Also, is there any issue with running our development system on different physical machines (one at a time, or course).

board_admin
Site Admin

Re: Additional license

Post by board_admin »

No.
2 options:
Option 1: Just buy a 2nd license. Put in on test or production machine.

Note: You can install TWSLink on as many machines you like and you can copy license.
Just if you run more instances than allowed with license, the latest started instance
gets blocked.

Option 2:
If you need the same type of license (IB single account or IB FA account), you could
also write an email to contact@trade-commander.de and request a 2nd lock
for your existing license. So you can use same license file on 2 machines.
You get a link for payment and once paid the # of locks for your license is raised to 2.

This is only possible, if you have an online license (which is by default).

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

Option 2 sounds great -- thank you
Rick

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

Something is wrong and I'm not sure where to look.

I installed TWSLInk on the new machine, making sure it was the most recent release. I checked the license and everything is BLUE, so that looks good.

I copied all the TradeStation windows and code unchanged from the old to the new machine. I signed on to IB on the new machine using the paper trade account just as I have for the last many months.

And then the problems:

1) I am running four TS strategies, and only one seems to work at a time -- this morning it was one of the ones that uses the IB algos, and then after shutting down and copying everything a second time, it is one of the one that does not use the IB algos.
2) I looked for the log and can't find it. In the normal Log folder are a bunch of other folders such as p34552, p34244, p54192. Most of the folders are empty, but some have a log file, but these logs don't contain everything that I am used to seeing in the other logs we have worked with.
3) I shut down everything on the new machine and went back to the old machine and everything is perfect -- including the log.
4) I have not tried anything with the other IB account since it is a live account, although it has worked fine in the past -- I want to make sure the old things work perfectly on the new machine first.

Thank you
Rick

Since I wrote the post above, one of the TS strategies that uses the IB algos is working again, and the strategies that don't use the algos have stopped working -- nothing was touched -- it just changed on its own.

board_admin
Site Admin

Post by board_admin »

I checked on our server that your license has an instance lock. This fits to the symptoms you described.
It should be machine lock. I changed this now. So you should be able to run TWSLink on 2 different machines at the same
time and on each machine as many instances you like.

(As TS splits into multiple machine processes and each process loads its own instance, TWSLink is multiple time loaded.)

I guess it was mistake when creating license.
Sorry for that. It should work now. Please check. If it still not works, we need a quick teamviewer session.
Thank you

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

It's a little different, but overall it is unchanged -- the first trade executed with one TS strategy but not the other. The log however is not acting the same as it has in the past.

Also, to be sure we are clear, we are only running with one copy of TWSLink at this point -- not on two simultaneous machines yet.

This is a development machine so you can use TeamViewer if you like -- let me know. We do not have a TeamViewer link to the production machine where everything is working perfectly, so we can't access that machine for comparison.

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

Let me shut down everything and try again to see if a total restart might work.

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

No change -- log still not correct and not all trades being sent to IB -- same as earlier

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

Our IT guys are going to wipe everything clean on the new machine and we will start fresh tomorrow. In the meantime, I turned on the live machine, and it still works perfectly, so it is probably not a license issue -- please recall that the live machine has had no problems at all -- let's see what happens when we turn on the new machine and if the log isn't working correctly, we will know there is an issue before we even start trading.

Thank you
Rick

board_admin
Site Admin

Post by board_admin »

I dont think this is necessary.

Have you checked the license file ? Use the same file as on your production machine please.

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

Yes -- the license files are identical. I have new files and will use them tomorrow.

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

Many thanks for all the help via TeamViewer this morning. It seems that setting the TradeStation processes to "1" solved the problem. We are running as expected on our development machine with no issues so far -- I'll check in at the end of the day to verify.

Thank you
Rick

board_admin
Site Admin

Post by board_admin »

Thank you for feedback.

If you need multiple processes for any reason, you could try to make a connection with different clientid but always use
the same clientid for same symbols.

So, if you know, symbol A,B,C are always hosted in same process, do the connection with clientid_A_B_C.
TWS allows up to 8 client connections.

sectorbets

Post by sectorbets »

Everything ran perfectly the rest of the day -- thank you again for your help.

I'll experiment with your suggestion in a few days once we have everything moved to our new machine